Insurance Recovery & Coverage
Our insurance attorneys find coverage after others have been unsuccessful in doing so. Our innovative theories and analysis have helped our clients, from individuals to Fortune 500 companies, obtain much-needed policy benefits. Many clients have avoided bankruptcy or other financial disaster because we were able to convince their insurers to provide the coverage owed.
We represent policyholders (individuals and businesses, including multi-national publicly-traded companies and public entities) in insurance recovery, coverage and bad faith matters. With the exception of legal services occasionally provided to title insurers, the Firm handles litigated and non-litigated matters exclusively on behalf of policyholders to avoid conflicts of interest.
All too often, insurers receiving valid requests for coverage look for reasons to deny coverage. They may request additional unnecessary information to evade obligations imposed by the policies and law, or they may deny coverage outright without a reasonable investigation. Other insurers may send lengthy letters with a laundry list of grounds for denial, without acknowledging other provisions that support coverage. Claims for employer liability, shareholder and class actions, commercial litigation, unfair competition claims, construction litigation, environmental claims, mixed claims of negligence and intentional conduct, and claims made by borrowers or investors are the types of claims frequently summarily denied by insurers.
Policyholders already concerned and fearful about the losses they have suffered, or the lawsuit they are facing, may not recognize their rights under their policies or California law. California has literally thousands of published decisions relating to insurance policy interpretation and insurance bad faith, many of which are favorable to coverage and yet are ignored by insurers. Policyholders or their litigation counsel unable to gain the benefits of the insuring agreement regularly seek our expertise to obtain coverage or resolve coverage issues. Our daily experience with coverage issues frequently identified by insurers, our long-standing relationships developed with insurers and their counsel, and our proven track record combine to foster resolution of insurance disputes, usually without need for litigation.
When litigation is appropriate, we use our expertise to pursue recovery for breach of contract and bad faith in state and federal courts. We have established substantial precedent in California on behalf of policyholders and have successfully tried insurance bad faith cases to verdict, resulting in millions of dollars obtained on behalf of the firm’s clients.
If you use a computer or cell phone, watch television, follow a Bay Area sports team, drink a glass of wine, or pay a loan, you are likely interacting with a client we have successfully assisted.
The Insurance Recovery and Coverage group’s services include:
- Recovery of Unpaid Policy Benefits
- Policy Coverage and Duty to Defend Analysis, Strategy and Advice
- Bad Faith Litigation for Policyholders
- Representation of Policyholders in Coverage Actions and Policy Investigations including Examinations under Oath
- Advice and Counsel Concerning Purchasing/Negotiating Coverage
- Advice and Counsel on Submitting a Claim to the Insurer
- Specialization and Experience in:
- Directors & Officers Liability Insurance claims
- Employment Practices Liability Insurance claims
- Errors & Omissions/Professional Liability Insurance claims
- Crime/Employee Dishonesty/Fidelity Bond claims
- Commercial General Liability and Umbrella/Excess Liability claims
- Trademark, Copyright and Patent Coverage claims
- Cyber/Technology and Privacy Coverage claims
- Products Liability Insurance claims
- Environmental Liability claims
- Construction Liability claims
- Advertising Injury Liability claims
- First Party Property Loss claims and associated Litigation
- Inland Marine Coverage claims
- Homeowners Insurance
- Recall Insurance
- Performance and Other Bonds
- WRAP Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Disability Insurance
- Medical Insurance
- Automobile Insurance
- Environmental Impairment Insurance
- Various Manuscript Policies
Contact our Insurance Group to learn more, or to discuss your insurance problem.